Galatians Week 2 Day 5




Ladies I am sharing commentary on these verses. 
Busy, filled weekend and packing!! We are believing God for our new place--

while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves are also found to be sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin?
God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor (Gal 2:17-18).


So Paul is talking here about his new found faith and revelation that is justification, being accepted by God, was based upon his faith in Jesus Christ. And so he despaired of the works of the law seeking now that righteousness which is of faith through Christ. No longer following the traditions of the law. Eating if he so desired a ham sandwich. And he goes on to say, If I try to build again a relationship through the law, that which I destroyed when I came to the knowledge of Jesus Christ, then I would become a transgressor. For through the law,
For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God (Gal 2:19).

In other words, the law condemned me to death. And that's all the law has done for anybody. It condemns them to death because no one has kept the law. And the Bible says, "If you keep the whole law, and yet you violate in one point, you're guilty of all" (James 2:10). Again the Bible says, "Cursed is the man who continue not in the whole law to do all of the things that are written therein" (Galatians 3:10). So if you're trying to be justified by the law and you've missed in one point at one time, anytime in your life, you're under the curse of the law which is death. So Paul said the law killed me and I'm dead to the law. But I am alive unto God. 


For I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; but yet it is not I (Gal 2:20),

I'm living now a new life. My old life was predicated upon the works of the law. My old life was self-centered. My old life was filled with strife, envy, jealousy, factious spirit. No longer I. What a glorious day when our life is no longer I. No longer centered around self. But now a new center and that is Jesus Christ for my life. No longer I upon the throne. But now Jesus Christ enthroned in my heart. No longer seeking to please me, now seeking to please Jesus Christ.

The life that I now live I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me (Gal 2:20).

And so I am not the old man that I was. That man died. He was crucified with Christ. I have a new life. A new center for life. The old self-centered Chuck died, crucified with Christ. Now the God-centered Chuck lives. "Lives by the faith of Jesus Christ who loved me, and gave himself for me" that I might have this new Christ-centered life. That I might have this new relationship with God. That I might have spiritual life. Paul said,
I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness could come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain (Gal 2:21).

You remember when Jesus was in the garden of Gethsemane the night before the crucifixion, Jesus knelt and prayed, "Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me" (Matthew 26:39). What's He talking about? If what is possible? If the redemption of man, if salvation for man is possible by any other means, by any other agency, by any other action, let this cup pass from me. If it's possible that man could be redeemed by the law, then Jesus would not have died. God would have established the requirements and maybe one or two might have gotten in somewhere along the line if they had died soon enough. 


The cross of Jesus Christ declares to all men for all times that there is only one way by which man can be redeemed and hope to see the kingdom of God. For had God been able to accomplish man's salvation through any other series of works, through the establishing of certain rules and requirements and regulations and all, had God been able to redeem man by any other way, I am certain He would have answered the prayer of Jesus. "Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me. Nevertheless, not what I will, Thy will be done" (Matthew 26:39).

And the fact that Jesus went ahead and suffered at the hands of man and was crucified by man is the declaration of God to all of us that there is not a possibility for salvation through works, through the works of the law, through the efforts of man. And as Paul said, "I am not frustrating the grace of God: because if righteousness could come by the law, then Christ died in vain. His death was not necessary. But righteousness cannot come to you by the law.

Righteousness cannot come to you by keeping rules and regulations. I cannot give to you a standard for righteousness and saying, Now if you do this and do this and do this and do this, you will be righteous. Unfortunately, many churches have endeavored to do this. They have their standards of holiness and they tell the women what kind of apparel is righteous and what kind is unrighteous. They tell what kind of jewelry you can wear and what kind you can't wear. They tell you how you can fix your hair the righteous way and the unrighteous way. Interesting they don't say too much about men who'd dress extremely flashy as a general rule within their groupings. But they really have a lot to say to the women. Of course, the men cannot wear gold. And they are trying and they really believe that they are being more righteous.

And so he now defends the Gentile believers in the face of all of the pressure from that leadership in Jerusalem and tells them, Stand fast in the liberty wherein Christ has set you free. Don't let men entangle you again in the bondage of a legal relationship with God. Just enjoy your loving relationship with Him.

God loves me, that's what counts. God has forgiven my sins because of my faith in Jesus Christ. That's what counts. God accounts me righteous tonight because of my faith in Jesus Christ, not because of what I do or don't do but because of my faith in Jesus Christ, God has accounted me righteous. The righteousness whereby I stand before God is complete. I can't add anything to it. And my endeavor to add anything to it only takes away from it because it then has me looking back at myself instead of looking at Jesus. And each time I look at myself I get in trouble. When I keep my eyes on Jesus I do alright. Keep your eyes on Him. Enjoy the grace of God. And that righteous standing that God has given to you through faith.

Father, we thank You for this glorious gospel that we have received, the gospel of the grace of Jesus Christ. Thank You, Father, for revealing this to Paul and for Paul's steadfast faithfulness in passing it on to us. That we, Lord, of all might have this loving relationship with You, having been forgiven all of our sins, having been accounted righteous through our faith in Jesus. Bless us now, help us now. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.





Please feel free to Share anything God is showing you in the study in the comment section or privately.  I would love to hear from you.

With Love in Christ,  Blessings to you,


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when we share and encourage one another!! Thank you for joining me on my journey.


Promotional  Spotlight

Followers